Monday, September 12, 2011

It's raining flowers

Literally , when I was walking out of office today I saw so many flowers scattered on the pavement .

It's a rare sight , firstly because Singapore being clean freak this flowers would have been removed off immediately and secondly according to quick google search such shedding happens here only once in 10 years .

If you are curious enough , the flowers are called pink memphat and they blossom only after a long spell of dry weather . Singapore weather is unpredictable - it's combination of rain , sun , dry throughout the year hence the weather is not suitable for this flower blossoming .



This is the tree responsible for such beautiful blossoms.




But sometime if there is prolonged dry season followed by a cooler temperature it will produce such eye pleasing view . The mass flowering is usually associated with japan cherry blossoms and is known as sakura (Japanese for cherry trees)

This is Singapore's very own Sakura sightings .

2 comments:

bookjunkie said...

I've lived here all my life but didn't know this. Just beautiful & glad you captured it :)

Chaithra and Naveen said...

I myself wouldn't have observed it if not for this blog . I was thinking of some topic to write and these beautiful flowers caught me attention .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...